The Draw and Write Journal from Lakeshore is a great skills booklet for elementary students.
The inside front cover offers some great advice for younger learners:
The Purposes of Writing:
- To explain something
- To express your feelings
- To tell a fictional (not true) story
- To tell a non-fictional (true) story about yourself or an event in your life
- To describe a person, place, thing, or event
- To convince a reader to believe your point of view
The Writing Process
- Think about what your would like to write about.
- Collect information about topics that interest you.
- Talk to other people about your ideas.
- Choose a specific topic.
- Organize your ideas about this topic.
- Write down your ideas to create a first draft.