Check out our tutoring resources page!
Top Geography Jokes & Top State Jokes
U.S. History Lessons & Electoral College
Over the next few weeks we will share some tips for helping a student remember the state capitals
Montgomery, Alabama (Find a Montgomery, Alabama tutor)
- Mt. Gum Alabama (Mount Gum Alabama helps a student remember Montgomery.)
- “Picture an enormous mountain of gum with an owl sitting on top, eating a banana. Owl + banana = Alabama. Mount + gum = Montgomery” Mrs. Jones Room
Juneau, Alaska (Find a Juneay, Alaska tutor)
- “Juneau (Do you know) the capital of Alaska?”
- Picture an Eskimo by his igloo, holding a calendar turned to June. He draws a big O on the calendar. Eskimo = Alaska. June + O = Juneau. Mrs. Jones Room
Phoenix, Arizona (Find a Phoenix, Arizona tutor)
- Picture the mythological bird, the Phoenix, flying near the ozone layer. He can’t breathe and has to fly down to the air zone. Air + zone = Arizona. Phoenix = Phoenix. Mrs. Jones Room
Little Rock, Arkansas (Find a Little Rock, Arkansas tutor)
- A Little Rock Arc. Picture Noah’s arc made of little, tiny rocks!
- Picture an ark floating on the water. It is suddenly hit with thousands of little rocks. Ark = Arkansas. Little rocks = Little Rock. Mrs. Jones Room
- Picture a heart connected to the back of a Ford car. Heart + Ford = Hartford. Connected = Connecticut
Dover, Delaware (Find a Dover, Delaware tutor)
- Picture this: What did Della wear? She wore doe (female deer) fur. Della + wear = Delaware. Doe + fur = Dover.
Tallahassee, Florida (Find a Tallahassee, Florida tutor)
- Picture a dog with a towel in his mouth mopping the floor. It’s Lassie! Floor = Florida. Towel + Lassie = Tallahassee.
- Picture a lion with a long mane. A gust of wind is blowing his mane. Mane = Maine. A gust of = Augusta.
Annapolis, MarylandPicture a girl wanting to marry; she lands a groom with an apple on a fishing pole. Marry + land = Maryland. Apple + pole = Annapolis.
Boston, Massachusetts (Find a Boston, Massachusetts tutor)
- Picture the boss of a fish store chewing a one-ton fish. Chew = Massachusetts. Boss + ton = Boston
Concord, New Hampshire
- Picture the Concord jet landing in your backyard, driven by two hamsters! Hamsters = New Hampshire. Concord = Concord.
Trenton, New Jersey
- Picture a football player buying a new jersey (shirt). Then, he puts a tent on top of the jersey. New jersey = New Jersey. Tent + on = Trenton.
Albany, New York
- Picture the Empire State Building in New York, with animals jumping all around it. They are all bunnies. Empire State Building = New York. All + bunnies = Albany
- Picture you have a giant pencil and you are drawing hairy burger. Pencil = Pennsylvania. Hairy + burger = Harrisburg.
Providence, Rhode Island
- Picture a teeny, tiny road on a teeny, tiny island. A pro-football player is running down the road with a dunce cap on his head. Road + island = Rhode Island. Pro + dunce = Providence.
- Picture you’re on a mountain of fur, that you are trying to peel off. Fur + mount = Vermont. Mount + peel = Montpelier.