- Youth Basketball Resources
- Youth Basketball Year: Click on this link to find ideas for each month.
- Basketball Jokes: Why did the basketball player go to jail?… Because he shot the ball! (Top Basketball Jokes for Kids)
- 8th Grade Youth Basketball
8th Grade Boys Travel Tryouts #2
Monday, October 7, 2019
730-845p Middle School (6 baskets)
0:00 – 0:05 Talk reaffirm
- Introduce – Evaluators
- Highlight work hard, being serious and doing one’s best.
- We will be evaluating ball handling, rebounding, shooting, defense, passing, team play, hustle, listening and how you would fit into this years’ teams.
- Three teams of 11 players – 33 players trying out.
- Get water when you are not involved in a drill or a game
0:05 – 0:15 Ball drills
- #’s 1-6 (basket A), #’s 7-12 (basket B), #’s 13-18 (basket C), #’s 19-24 (basket D),#’s 25-30 (Basketb E), #’s31-35 (Basket F)
- three times head, waist and knees, figure 8, alternating hands, football hike, dribble figure 8, spider drill (two dribbles front and two dribbles behind).
- Sprinting side to side. Up and back three times
0:15 – 0:30 Three on Two plus One drill
- Dark and White teams
- Start with three on offense and 2 on defense, as soon as the ball crosses half court, third defense comes in and matches up. Game is played until turnover or made basket … three defense then become offense and go down a play on 2 defense, third comes in after half court.
0:30 – 0:45 – 1v1
- Players divided up into guards and forwards. Six groups six or seven in each group. Count off by height.
Four baskets used
- Game is to one. Winner stays for max of three games.
- Change in possession requires a check to play
- Three dribble max
- HS’ers officiate the game.
- If you lose go to the other basket … forwards, guards, guard/forwards. Winner stays.
0:45 – 1:10 5v5
Even Teams: Finish the tryout with the even groups to see all the players at once. It might be good to do a team shooting segment. Maybe 1 – 2 minutes from 5 spots BEFORE the scrimmage. Try to play as many games as possible.
|Ct 1||Ct 2|
1:10 – 1:55 Finish up
· Commitment talk and let them know that the Teams announced on Sunday 10/30 at 10:30am