My Town Tutors believes Massachusetts “Teachers are great tutors!” We make it easy for parents to connect with local teachers who tutor. We currently have over 230 Massachusetts teachers registered, but we need so many more.
We have two simple beliefs.
1. Teachers are great tutors!
2. Parents want great tutors for their children.
The idea for My Town Tutors was conceived while walking the grounds of the Marshfield Fair the week before school started. Another teacher was working fourteen straight, 18-hour days for $10 an hour as a security guard. Many other security guards were teachers who needed extra money to make it to the 1st pay check and working the Marshfield Fair was the best, and for some, only, part-time job available.
I suddenly realized that creating MyTownTutors could solve two major problems for teachers, students, and parents:
1. Teachers can use their education, experience, knowledge, and training to do what they do best – help students achieve academically. At the same time, these teachers could have the flexibility of selecting their own hours and own rate of pay (definitely more than $10 an hour).
2. Parents can find qualified, professional teachers, with unique skills to work with a child. Parents can have complete confidence that the every tutor we list has experience and training working with students who have a variety of learning abilities and styles.
My Town Tutors firmly believes teachers who tutor are a much better alternative for parents than the national tutoring franchises. Many of these companies rarely employ teachers, and if they do, the teachers are grossly underpaid. The national franchise tutors are usually college students who have little, if any, training or experience working with students. Additionally, the cost of these services for parents is insanely high.
“Teacher are great tutors!”
Massachusetts teachers know the curriculum, content, and state standards. More importantly, teachers know children. They understand the learning process and the challenges faced by many students. They speak regularly with other educators and have been trained to use strategies to reach many different learning styles.
The goals of My Town Tutors are really simple.
- To make it easy for students and parents to connect with a qualified, local teacher who tutors.
- To help teachers who tutor earn additional income with a flexible schedule that fits their needs.
Last fall, My Town Tutors was tested successfully in the towns south of Boston. Parents and teachers loved it! We now list over 225 teachers who tutor.
Over the summer we added some great new features, including updates to our profile page (Tutor Profile: Mark Molloy) and we are reaching out to teachers across the state.
My Town Tutors would love to have any Massachusetts (or U.S.) teacher who tutors join our national directory. With our special promotion, teachers can register until September 31, 2014 for only $12. There are no other fees for our service. If a teacher charges $50 an hour, the teacher keeps all $50. It is that simple.
If any teacher or parent has a question about our services, please email – email@example.com. I would appreciate any feedback.
Follow us on Twitter!