Top 3 Joke Pages
Summer Blogs for Parents & Teachers
My Town Tutors has been using twitter to connect with parents, teachers, and educators for the last two years. Along the way, we have made some mistakes, but also have learned some valuable lessons. Hopefully our experiences might be useful to others.
One of the biggest questions is who should you follow first. We have the benefit of experience, but if we were to start over (And we did start over with @mytowntutorsNW, the worst twitter account in the world!), who would we follow first?
This advice is for all the people new to twitter. If you follow these steps, I think you might be very happy with the results. So, if you are new to twitter, we hope we can be a great role model.
We created a twitter account (@mytowntutorsNW) to test our ideas. We think we might see some amazing results. Below are the guidelines we recommend and will follow to the best of our ability.
- Lay low for 30 days to try to figure out the twitter landscape. @mytowntutorsNW will post their first tweet on July 4th, even though the account was opened on June 4th! We did not do a thing and acquired 18 followers.
- Starting July 4th, @mytowntutorsNW will tweet for the next 30 days without following anyone. They will interact with others, analyzing twitter accounts to see who to follow first.
- At the start of the third month August 4th, @mytowntutorsN will begin to follow the First 52 twitter accounts. At that point, @mytowntutorsNW will have been on twitter for 60 days and hopefully can identify the best twitter accounts to follow as an account focused on education and parenting. @mytowntutorsNW.
- Our goal will be to create some strong relationships with these “First 52″ accounts. If we do our research well, we will make connections with the best.
We welcome feedback on our services and our unique approach to twitter. This may not be the best way, but if you follow us, I think you will see it is one way to really make connections on twitter.
Below are some of great options for our first choices:
My Town Tutors, specifically @mytowntutursNW is committing to the idea that less is more on twitter. My Town Tutors values teachers, parents, and great resources for education.
@mytowntutursNW will follow one account per week for the next year starting on August 4th, 2013. There are so many incredible accounts that we apologize if you were not selected or possibly listed higher. We hope parents and teachers find these resources useful.
We have not made our final decisions but below are some accounts that are in the running.
Twitter Accounts for Parents
- @parentsmagazine (720,00 followers) – We’re the editors of Parents Magazine and http://Parents.com. New York City · parents.com
- @DailyParentTip (473,00 followers) – The most popular #parenting tweets, tips and links each day! DailyParentTip.com
- @parenting (435,000 followers) – http://Parenting.com is the home of Parenting and Babytalk magazines. NYC · parenting.com
- @PragmaticMom (48,000 followers) – I blog excessively about children’s and YA books. When I cover education and parenting, KidLit somehow slips in. http://sulia.com/pragmaticmom/ Boston, MA · pragmaticmom.com
- @NationalPTA (8,500 followers) – “The largest volunteer child advocacy association in the nation, Parent Teacher Association (PTA). contact us, email@example.com. RT does not = Endorsement. Nationwide · pta.org“
- @parentingsquad (3,500 followers) Forget the village. Parents need a special forces squad! parentingsquad.com
- @TalkingTeenage (9,600 followers) – Welcome to Talking Teenage! Our goal–to translate teen language to help parents understand what their teens are really saying. talkingteenage.com
- @Momsandthecity (6,400 followers) – Jessi – LA, Lauren – Austin/Dallas & Kat NYC/Brooklyn. We hand selected the content. We are NOT @themoms TheMomsandTheCity.com
- @ptotoday (4,600 followers) – Helping Parent Leaders (PTO, PTA, etc.) Make Schools Great. Tweets by Rose Cafasso. Wrentham. MA · ptotoday.com/newsletter
- @alphamom (23,600 followers) The one and only/ Forbes Top 10 Motherhood Gurus… awwww yeah/ found all across America · alphamom.com
- @BruceSallan (43,100 followers) – Dad, writer, radio host, founder of #DadChat (Thursdays 6-7pm, PST). My books are on Amazon, iTunes, my website. FB Page: http://bit.ly/FBDadPage . Los Angeles · BruceSallan.com
Twitter Accounts for Teachers
- @principalspage (11,300 followers) – Superintendent, Self-Proclaimed Author of #1 Read Superintendent Blog in the World, Google Certified Administrator, Speaker, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tuscola, Illinois · michaelsmithsupt.com
- @TDOttawa (4,000 followers) – Learning in the 21st century with a focus on EDtech, web 2.0, innovation, and creativity. Tom D’Amico is a Superintendent – Ottawa Catholic School Board. Ottawa, On · scoop.it/t/igeneration-…
- @KingCenterATL (4,300 followers) – OFFICIAL PROFILE. The King Center is a living memorial to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy founded by Coretta Scott King to promote nonviolent social change. Atlanta, GA · thekingcenter.org
- @EdcampUSA (600 followers) – Not-for-profit organization promoting organic, participant-driven professional development for K-12 educators worldwide. Tweets are by Foundation board members. edcamp.org
- @shannonmmiller (23,500 followers) – Teacher Librarian & Tech Integrationist who loves connecting, creating, change, advocacy & NOISE. Presenter & Blogger. Connecting People Shorty Award Recipient. Van Meter, Iowa · http://vanmeterlibraryvoice.blogspot.com/ Guest Blog: A Day To Make A Difference: Celebrate Literacy With Everyone
- @askteacherzcom (1,025 followers) – Educators & Parents. Managers of #CollabEd & @Power_of_Hi – Gr.1 Tchr. w/ Counseling MA & Gr.8 U.S. History Tchr. w/ History MA – Coach & Free-Lance Writer. Grosse Pointe, Michigan · askteacherz.com
- @NormandinBill (3,500 followers) – Proud father of 2 wonderful children, husband to an amazing educator, proud Principal of Normandin Middle School in New Bedford, MAhttp://normandinprincipal.blogspot.com Guest Blog: All Kids Can SUCCEED – Be the “1″
- @PatrickMLarkin (23,000 followers) – Artist formerly known as @bhsprincipal – BPS Asst. Supt. NASSP National Digital Principal Award Winner (2012), Evangelist for Web 2.0 and Digital Tools. Burlington, MA · http://www.patrickmlarkin.com/ Guest Blog: Patrick Larkin’s Top 5 Twitter Accounts for Teachers
- @tomwhitby(35,900 followers) – Prof of Education. Founder: #Edchat, The EDU PLN Ning, Linkedin group Technology-Using Professors et al. BLOG: My Island View http://tomwhitby.wordpress.com Long Island, New York http://tomwhitby.wordpress.com/Guest Blog: What’s An Education Thought Leader?
- @feedtheteacher (9,900 followers) – EFL Teacher, E-tutor and social media and technology enthusiast! I believe in the power of sharing and collaborating! · http://feedtheteacher.blogspot.com Guest Blog: Digital Parenting: The Digital Parent in You!
- @cybraryman1 (30,000 followers) – Educator & Writer trying to catalog the internet for students, educators and parents. http://cybraryman.com ÜT: 27.179819,-80.236438 · http://www.cybraryman.com Guest Blog: Teachers, Follow That Hashtag!
- @plnaugle (9,200 followers) – I teach 4th graders math and social studies using many Web 2.0 tools like Edmodo. Glogster, kidblog.org, Jing, Skype, Wikis and I have 35 years of experience. New Orleans, LA · http://pnaugle.blogspot.comGuest Blog: Should You Be Using Exit Slips in Your Classroom!
- @Edudemic (53,200 followers) – A dedicated community of educators and technologists looking to enhance learning. Cambridge, MA · edudemic.com
- @pbsteachers (42,100 followers) – Multimedia resources & professional development for America’s preK-12 educators. Arlington, VA · http://www.pbs.org/teachers
- @LAFund (13,700 followers) – We are an education non-profit in Los Angeles. Currently revitalizing arts education in LA with a group of world-renowned artists. Tweets by Leigh. #ArtsMatter Los Angeles, CA · http://www.lafund.org/#arts-matter Guest Blog: The LA Fund & Facing History and Ourselves Combat Bullying
- @USATeducation (15,000 followers) – Using USA TODAY to connect what students are learning in the classroom to events, trends and circumstances in the world around them. Listening closely. Everywhere in the USA · http://education.usatoday.com
- @TeacherSabrina (5,750 followers) – Teacher-turned-advocate for kids, teachers & communities. Pro-#edreform that works for real people, not corporate interests. Tweets = mine, RTs ≠ endorsements. Washington, DC · http://www.sabrinajoystevens.com
- @TeacherCast (8,000 followers) – TeacherCast.net was set up to help teachers better use technology in their classrooms. We are your Educational Community for 21st Century Learning. Philadelphia · http://www.TeacherCast.net
- @SirKenRobinson (190,000 followers) – Los Angeles · sirkenrobinson.com
- @ShellTerrell (39,500 followers) – Education thought-provoker, The 30 Goals Challenge author, International Speaker, #Edchat founder, Host for AM TESOL Free Fri Webinars, SC Mgr @TheConsultantsE worldwide · http://bit.ly/ShellTerrell
- @NCTM (15,500 followers) – The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics is a public voice of mathematics education, providing vision, leadership and professional development. Reston, Virginia · http://www.nctm.org
- @NAESP (10,700 followers) – National Association of Elementary School Principals: Serving all elementary and middle-level principals. Alexandria, VA · http://www.naesp.org
- @khanacademy (182,00 followers) – Working to make a free, world-class education available for anyone, anywhere. Mountain View, CA · http://www.khanacademy.org
- @edmodo (43,000 followers) – The official twitter account for Edmodo. Make your classroom a community. http://bit.ly/pCk24J San Mateo, CA · http://www.edmodo.com
- @AngelaMaiers (96,500 followers) – I believe these 2 words can change the world – #YouMatter – I’m an Educator, Author, Speaker passionate about literacy, learning, and power of social media. Iowa · http://www.AngelaMaiers.com
- @ASCD (55,000 followers) – The international education association dedicated to providing programs, products, and services that empower educators to support the success of each learner. Alexandria, VA (D.C. area) · http://www.ascd.org
- @coolcatteacher (58,000 followers) – Best teacher blog award winner, co-founder- Flat Classroom Projects, Conference, Digiteen, NetGenEd, known as the Wikinator by my students, author Camilla, Georgia · http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com
- @CNNSchools (9,000 followers) – CNN’s Schools of Thought blog covers education from a variety of perspectives that include policies, practices and people. CNN, Atlanta, GA, USA · http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com/
- @DiscoveryEd (90,000 followers) – Supporting teachers by bringing the world of Discovery into classrooms to ignite students’ natural curiosity. Global · http://DiscoveryEducation.com
- @DianeRavitch (55,00 followers) – I write about education. I blog at dianeravitch.net Brooklyn · http://dianeravitch.com
- @ncte (15,800 followers) – National Council of Teachers of English: devoted to improving literacy teaching and learning at all levels of education. RTs/follows do not imply agreement. Urbana, Illinois · ncte.org
- @massteacher (4,800 followers) – Massachusetts Teachers Association Boston, Mass. · massteacher.org
- @NSTA (16,100 followers) – The National Science Teachers Association: promoting excellence and innovation in science teaching and learning for all. Arlington, Virginia · nsta.org
- @educationweek (185,00 followers) – American education’s newspaper and website of record. Bethesda, MD · edweek.org
- @AFTunion (10,100 followers) – We’re 1.5 million teachers, paraprofessionals/school-related personnel, higher ed faculty, gov’t employees, & healthcare workers making a difference every day. Washington, DC · aft.org
- @NPSEducation (4,800 followers) – An official source of National Park Service education program information for teachers and learners of all ages. (Following is not an endorsement) National Park Service · nps.gov/learn
- @NEAToday (73,000 followers) – The National Education Association, the nation’s largest professional employee organization, is committed to advancing the cause of public education. Washington DC · nea.org
- @AACTE (30,000 followers) – American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE), promoting PK-12 student learning through high-quality, evidence-based educator preparation. Washington, DC · aacte.org
Other Twitter Accounts
- @NWF (150,00 followers) – National Wildlife Federation works to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children’s future. Staff updating: @d_tinker @starfocus @rarewildlifeguy Washington, DC · nwf.org
- @WinterDolphin (26,000 followers) – I’m an Atlantic Bottlenose dolphin who lost my tail after getting entangled in a crab trap. I recently took up acting and played myself in Dolphin Tale. Clearwater, Florida · SeeWinter.com