- Top 10 Jokes for Each Month
- Travel Guest Blogs
- U.S. History Jokes
- 365 Family Friendly Jokes
- Top Careers & Career Advice
An education obtained in England is not just considered prestigious. It is a guarantee of successful employment in any country in the world. London universities alone provide education to almost 420 thousand students, a quarter of whom are foreigners. How to enroll university in London and which institution to choose will be useful information for anyone planning to get a degree in this part of the world.
Advantages of London Universities
The unqualified “plus” of education in London universities is the level of teaching. Most educational institutions of the United Kingdom – multidisciplinary, with each university has its “strengths” – specialties in which the best programs are presented.
Also, students who come to the UK to study await:
- Studying at institutions that rank at the top of the world rankings;
- Diploma, which will help to find a prestigious job in any country;
- good language practice;
- strong technical resources in the research centers of universities.
In addition, studying in London is an experience of living in a city with an interesting history, meeting fellow students from different countries, expanding your horizons.
Difficulties of studying at London universities
Despite all the advantages of studying at universities in London, it is worth considering all the potential “minuses” of such a decision.
The main difficulties that await international students in London:
- Possible problems when applying for a visa or extending the document;
- a large competition for places among the residents of the United Kingdom and foreign applicants;
- The possibility of not “get” the necessary number of points on admission;
- A fairly high cost of services of universities.
It is also an open question about the possibility of international students to stay in the United Kingdom after graduation. But all of these difficulties “outweigh” the benefits of a British education and the prospects that a university degree offers.
The special features of universities in London
- When studying at London universities for a particular specialty is a number of basic and some additional subjects. Students are required to study the core subjects, and additional subjects they are free to choose based on their own ideas of which subject knowledge is more or less useful to them.
- Individual approach. Every English student has a personal tutor or “tutor”. The tutor’s tasks are to help a young person to study, to set and achieve goals, to solve different tasks of study.
- Encouragement of self-study. In the majority of the English universities only independent craving for knowledge is well encouraged. If you want to be a successful student and get good recommendations from teachers upon graduation, prepare to grasp the granite of science outside of the university in your spare time: read a lot, make independent conclusions, reason more and think openly.
- Universities are equipped with excellent libraries. Because the English education system is more focused on self-study, each of our universities has magnificent libraries and knowledge bases, which delight visiting international students.
- Attention to international students. The management of English universities makes every effort to make it convenient for international students to receive an education. Foreign applicants are provided with hostels, and after enrollment in the university, young people have the opportunity to improve their English level on specially organized courses for foreigners.
- Obtaining higher education in England is a great chance to stay here permanently as employers of Great Britain gladly hire talented young people with high marks in professional subjects.
What you need to get into a university in London
The whole system of higher education in the UK is represented by several categories of educational institutions – these are universities, colleges and institutes.
There are no indulgences or discounts for either local or foreign applicants at admission – equal conditions are created for everyone, and advantages at distribution are given only to those future students who have the highest scores in their diplomas.
To apply and be admitted to universities in Great Britain it is necessary to have a GCSE certificate, which is analogous to national certificates of completion of secondary school and secondary education. An important condition is the presence of the certificate of at least five subjects, two of which must necessarily be passed with “excellent”. In a word, if you want to enter universities in England – you have to try over their own scores at school. For foreign applicants who have not studied in English schools it is necessary to have a two-year pre-university education course in special international schools of Great Britain, which results in exams and A-levels diploma.
Another no less important condition is a perfect knowledge of English, which is confirmed by the IELTS certificate.
The certificate is received by the results of passing a special difficult test, which can be passed only if English has been studied for many years (ideally in British schools).
The collected documents (this is a certificate of A-levels or GCSEs, IELTS, as well as personal documents of the applicant) are collected in advance. Each U.K. university sets its own requirements for the content of the full package of documents.
The actual submission is done at UCAS – a special Service of Admission to Higher Education Institutions from September 1 to October 15. Applicants can submit a package of documents to six different institutions at once.
Accommodation in London for students: options and prices
As a rule, all first-year students of London universities, including international students, live in dormitories. The rooms have everything you need, sometimes even your own bathroom, and you will share the kitchen with other students. Dormitories also have common guest rooms, study rooms, and sometimes libraries. Look carefully a few weeks before you start school to find a good room. Costs in the hostel range from £100 to £550 per week; there are also more expensive options.
Renting an apartment
Many upperclassmen team up to rent a large apartment or even a house together – this saves money and gives more freedom. You can search for suitable options with the help of specialized websites, agencies, student support services, and sometimes landlords themselves cooperate with universities. When calculating your budget, you should consider a deposit equal to a month or a month and a half of rent. Utility bills are usually already included in the price and remain the concern of the landlord if it is a short-term lease, for example, six months. In the case of long-term rentals you will have to pay for electricity, television, etc. on your own, but in this case there is a chance to get a discount on housing.
Keep in mind that one-bedroom apartments in London are called studios, and two-bedroom are called one-bedroom apartment. Such housing in the city center is difficult to find for less than £1000 per month.
The cost of studying in London
For international students the cost of education can vary, as citizens of the European Union receive certain discounts and some benefits. In addition, after receiving a diploma in this country, you can even work for two years in their specialty.
In London to get a bachelor’s degree will have to spend three years. However, no one interferes with the simultaneous practical education and part-time work at the same time. Such a combination of study and work is very common in England.
Up to seven years will have to study those who have chosen some medical or architectural direction. But to become a master’s student it takes only two years.
On the cost of education also affects the prestige of the university and the rating of the specialty. On the average the price ranges from 10 000 to 12 000 £ per year. True, medical specialties can cost 20 000-22 000 £.