Author Bio: My name is Julie Bradlie. I’m a freelance writer. Deeply engaged in studying education topics. I have experience in writing works for famous media and educational blogs. I have my own blog on Studymoose.com. I also help students with writing essays and dissertations. I believe that the right choice of the topic is 90% success.
1. The concept of academic writing.
There are different approaches to define the term academic writing, that’s why the need for academic writing on the basis of reading is being substantiated, that’s why in this article we want to provide you with all the necessary information. Academic literacy is a set of skills and abilities. There are different methods of teaching academic writing. Sometimes it’s given as a separate skill, sometimes along with reading, and sometimes as part of an integrated course with the development of all academic skills. Students have some difficulties in writing academic works, essays, articles, projects.
Academic writing has some features that are universal and available for any language, which is characterized by a formal style of teaching, that uses the academic lexis, focuses on the topic or the problem, but not the expression of somebody’s thoughts. The vocabulary is selected, that’s why abbreviations, spoken vocabulary, phraseologisms are not used. The distinctive features of academic writing are lexical turns, a high degree of nominalization (actions and events are presented in the form of nouns), widely used impersonal constructions, along with the existence of specific norms of the verbs’ usage.
What is required for organizing social sciences research paper?
Successful development of the competence to study academic writing is possible under the condition of aggregate training of all aspects of academic literacy, including academic reading, discussion, and presentation, development of the ability to listen to the speaker, evaluating information. Control over academic writing is an integral part of the learning process.
The next skills are required to master and organize the academic paper successfully:
a) research skills – the ability of students to search, recognize and read authoritative scientific sources;
b) summarizing skills – the ability to find and write basic information, instead of copying the whole text;
c) self-control – the ability to rationally distribute the time required to write a draft version of an article and edit it;
d) drawing up a plan and a draft of the text;
e) editing the final text.
The way of organizing social sciences research paper in academic writing style.
It’s an obvious fact that academic style can be changed, as it varies greatly depending on the methodological structure and target audience, but, in general, most scientific papers at the college level require close attention to the following stylistic elements:
1. The image of the paper.
The text has typical genre compositions. The paper should be characterized by a sequential division into sections, paragraphs, sub-items. The style has a well-organized syntax. It’s characterized by using a sentence of a complex, but “correct” structure, often complicated by turns, naming of registered forms. There are sentences with many nouns and relative adjectives, few verbs in particular personal forms.
The text should be divided into separate semantic sections, reflecting the movement of thought from partial to general, or from general to private; conclusions in the text derive from the main content and do not contradict it.
Clarity, as the quality of the scientific language, requires accessibility. By the degree of accessibility, the research paper is differed, having specific features of the material outlined and the ways of its linguistic design.
The accuracy of the scientific language implies the unambiguousness of understanding, the absence of a discrepancy between the signified and its definition. Therefore, in scientific texts, words are used predominantly in their direct sense; you can not use vague and ambiguous statements.
5. The main goals.
The academic style is determined, ultimately, by the content and goals of a scientific message – if possible, accurately and fully explains the facts of reality, shows causal relationships between phenomena, identifies patterns of historical development, etc. It’s characterized by a logical sequence of presentation, organized by the system of links between parts of the statement, the authors’ desire for accuracy, concordance, the uniqueness of the statement while preserving the saturation of the content.
The best advice for organizing your paper.
We want to give you some tips and strategies that you might find useful when writing your research paper.
1. All kind of research papers begins with an idea and an interest in a specific topic. Suddenly you’ve understood that you’ve noticed a pattern in the processes under study, texts, statistics, or, conversely, you might find an error in the allegations and categorically disagree with the theses of an author. When you have interest in a certain topic, then you study it, formulate your vision of the problem, make unexpected conclusions.
2. The idea for the research paper can come from anywhere. But note that the subject of the academic writing style should be as narrow as possible, especially when it is your first publication. It is better to focus on a piece of a specific topic, to work it qualitatively, in order not to get lost in multilayer subjects, and not to provide a superficial analysis.
3. Emotionality, as well as expressiveness, which requires an objective, “intellectual” presentation of scientific data, is expressed differently than in other writing styles. The perception of your social sciences research paper may cause certain feelings to the reader, but not as an appropriate response to the author’s emotionality, but as an awareness of the scientific fact itself.
4. Try to use a combination of polar stylistic features: logic and emotionality, objectivity and subjectivity, abstraction and concreteness. There are considerably less special terms and other proper scientific means.
5. The best arguments are, of course, the results of your experiments, questionnaires. However, you can use references to authoritative works, the conclusions of other scholars. If you are analyzing the text, you need to quote. You must specify the source of each link. The quality of your writing will depend on strong and logical arguments.
In conclusion, we’d like to mention, that academic writing style is the best during writing any kind of research papers. Mainly because, the academic style is characterized by a logical sequence of presentation, ordered by a system of links between the parts of the statement, the authors’ desire for accuracy, and the concurrency while maintaining the saturation of the content.