Certified ScrumMaster is one of the widely recognized certifications across the globe, certified by Scrum Alliance. This certification process is stringent in that the CSM aspirants will have to attend the mandatory 2-day Certified Scrum Master Training delivered by Certified Scrum Trainers.
The CSM Certification covers the overview of the Scrum Framework that is required to learn the basics of Agile project management. Furthermore, this training covers all the elementary aspects of Scrum such as the lifecycle of Scrum.
The CSM certification is not limited to IT professionals and is beneficial to all professionals from multiple industry sectors such as IT, healthcare, construction, and automobiles.
This certification is provided by the accredited body- Scrum Alliance and acts as a boost to the candidates who are looking to pursue their careers in Agile and Scrum practices.
What does it mean to be CSM Certified?
If you are a CSM Certified Professional, then it means that you are trained by a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST). It also indicates that you have hands-on experience imparted during the Scrum training and are capable of leading the team better.
The key takeaways from these courses are:
- Comprehensive understanding of the Scrum Frameworks and Agile Methodology.
- Ease of Practical implementation of Scrum and Agile approach in ongoing projects.
- Scrum Masters help to restructure product development cycles.
- Increased chance of hiring by companies.
- Organizations benefit from having certified professionals as clients will be convinced of the quality of deliverables.
- Professionals will be confident to handle various scenarios in organizations.
- Certified Professionals will be able to prioritize their tasks better.
- ScrumMaster certification helps professionals to understand the servant-leadership concept in that though a ScrumMaster is the one who leads the team and he/she has to take up the responsibility for the team and eliminate obstacles that come up in the way.
How to get a CSM certification?
- Candidates have to acquaint themselves with the knowledge of Agile, Scrum frameworks, and life cycles.
- Get enrolled for the two-day training course that is offered by any Scrum Alliance approved institute and get trained by a Certified Scrum Trainer.
- Clear the online test by answering 37 out of 50 questions correctly within 60-minutes.
- Accept the license agreement on the Scrum Alliance website and create a member profile on the Scrum Alliance website.
- Finally, the candidate can download a copy of the certificate.
Expectations from a Certified ScrumMaster
A ScrumMaster has to do various roles and most importantly uplift the spirit of the team and help them achieve their goals and in turn benefit the organization. Various roles that ScrumMaster has to take up in order to fulfill personal and organizational goals are:
- Assist in Planning and Estimation of tasks and resources
- Effectively assign roles and responsibilities to team members based on their strengths and weakness.
- Act as a facilitator to the project and make the project abide by the principles of Agile and Scrum.
- Be an Agile Expert and handle various tasks such as plan and organize meetings such as Daily Scrum Call, Sprint Planning, and Sprint Retrospective; motivate the team members and keep them on track by not allowing the discussions to deviate from the planned goals.
- ScrumMasters have to ensure that the project is going on smoothly and is on right track.
- Be a middle layer between Management and the team and must shoulder all responsibilities and safeguard team members in all aspects.
- They must be able to mentor the team well and be able to coach the team members to effectively imbibe the agile practices in their daily work without much effort.
- They must be able to eliminate any bottlenecks such as lack of experience or knowledge or lack of motivation in a team member and set in motion the work such that there is no hindrance to the productivity.
- A ScrumMaster must come up with certain rules for the team such that each team member takes the onus to help the team achieve its desired potential.
- ScrumMaster must be able to suppress the pressures from the management or client and must not let that hamper the team.
ScrumMaster must be capable of recognizing the talent of each team member and encourage them to innovate as well as have the mind-set to innovate. This will create a sense of warmth and encouragement among the team member